Church of São Sebastião

Located at Rua Conselheiro Joaquim Machado, this church is classified as a National Monument.

Church of São Sebastião in Lagos

photo credits (cc) martin55

This location was destined for a church. In 1325 they built the Hermitage of Nossa Senhora da Conceição. In 1490, by the order of Dom Joao II, they extended the church. In 1755, the church was badly damaged by the earthquake, the tower got destroyed and they moved the parish to the Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo.

In 1828, Costa and Sousa built a clock for the tower and following the 1858 fire, the building had to undergo a complete restoration. In the 1969 earthquake, the church was damaged again.

The altar as well as the chapel is ornamented with golden leaves, the body has three naves which are separated by Doric columns. Attached to the church, you will find the Capela dos Ossos (chapel of bones), which is a small chapel.

The main entry consists of a Gothic porch with a side door in Renaissance style – this was previously the main entry of the Capela da Nossa Senhora.

The art and paintings of the chapel are very likely the work of Custodio Mesquita and Alvaro Dias.